Romanian Grace

The dragon sits by the side of the road, watching those who pass. Beware lest he devour you. We go to the Father of Souls, but it is necessary to pass by the dragon. -- St. Cyril of Jerusalem

31 May, 2007

Landfall

Just thought I'd check in and say I am safely stateside, if that is safe. People here are crazy, and I think we drive too much and too fast.

My plan seems to be working. My body feels, I think, like a Chattanoogan's (if you don't know what "plan" I am referring to, read back a few entries).

A thought occurred to me as I made my way through the Frankfurt airport for my connecting flight. I was walking up to ask one of the desk employees there is I was at the right gate, and as I approached her I began thinking, "How do I ask this question?...Can I ask this question?...What response do I expect?" Of course, there was no need to go through these steps because in an international airport, they speak very good English. But I realized that for the last nine months, I have been going through this process every single time I have opened my mouth to a Romanian. I think it is part of what makes me so tired aver there. Three or so times the mental work to say anything and everything.

I had lunch with my mother today. Sweet tea. Extra lemon. Ice. Free refills galore. Incredible. I did not realize how much I missed that.

Preparations for the wedding (my sister's, not mine) seem to be sufficiently stressful to convince me that I am glad I have not been here the last six months. Additional stress: a death in the family. My mother's uncle died two nights ago after a pretty fast and steep decline. God's timing seems inconvenient at times, and often stressful, but I believe it is as perfect as the rest of His works. "This, too, is from the Lord Almighty, perfect in power...."

Coming soon- The Sound of Music: A missionary's delightful duty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home