Romanian Grace

The dragon sits by the side of the road, watching those who pass. Beware lest he devour you. We go to the Father of Souls, but it is necessary to pass by the dragon. -- St. Cyril of Jerusalem

05 December, 2007

Thine advent here III

Housekeeper

This is my little town,
My Bethlehem,
And here, if anywhere,
My Christ Child
Will be born.

I must begin
To go about my day--
Sweep out the inn,
Get fresh hay for the manger 
And be sure
To leave my heart ajar
In case there may be travelers
From afar.

Elizabeth Rooney

I guess I have never thought about that, "Let every heart prepare him room" as a reference to the inn incident.  As much as advent is a time for anticipation, though, it ought also to be a time of preparation.  If we truly receive our Saviour, we receive him little baby and all.  Often the last thing I want hanging around my heart is the reminder that I, too, must become like a little child (though not in the ways I normally become like a little child: fussy, whiny, selfish, stinky), must accept infancy with all its admitted helplessness, vulnerability, dependency.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home