Romanian Grace

The dragon sits by the side of the road, watching those who pass. Beware lest he devour you. We go to the Father of Souls, but it is necessary to pass by the dragon. -- St. Cyril of Jerusalem

09 October, 2006

It's the little things, like...

...buying eggs by the tens, not by the dozens...and, of course, having to wash the chicken poop off at home;

...seeing beer on the menu at McDonalds;

...walking down the road and shaking trees for apples to eat;

...realizing that throwing a frisbee and kicking a soccer ball are universal languages;

...learning that "merge" means "turn steering wheel and honk."

I find that I love this country for many of its oddities and quirks. As I get to know people here, I am really starting to understand and love them, though I have a long way to go on both those counts. I am not sure many Romanians are all that easy to get to know, and the fact that I don't speak their language isn't helping any. I am getting there, though. Just got my visa papers filed today. I had to prove to them that I did not need a translator for the form I was signing, so my language teacher told me what the form would say before we went in. I felt so smart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home